Beginning Saturday, March 28, the hours of operation for the COVID-19 Assessment Centre at the Kincardine hospital will be reduced to 12:00-4:00 PM daily.
Since opening the Assessment Centre on March 19, volumes have been lower than anticipated. On the first day, 23 people were seen, which dropped to 19 people on the second day, and since that time between 10-13 people per day have been seen.
“It’s a good sign that people are heeding the advice of Public Health officials and staying home and isolating if they have mild symptoms,” explains Michael Barrett, President and CEO. “By reducing the hours of operation for the assessment centre we are confident that we will continue to meet the needs of the community while reserving our health care human resources for when we need it most.”
There are three COVID-19 Assessment Centres in the Grey Bruce region for people who have symptoms of COVID-19 to be assessed and screened. Due to limited supplies of swabs, only high-risk patients are tested.
Who should come to the Assessment Centre? The Assessment Centres are for individuals with symptoms of COVID-19 who are having difficulty managing at home. Please follow these guidelines to determine if you should come:
1. Complete the online COVID-19 self-assessment tool to evaluate your symptoms (www.ontario.ca/coronavirus).
2. If you do not have symptoms of COVID-19, please do not come to the Assessment Centre.
3. If you have mild symptoms, and you can manage at home, please stay home and self-isolate. Do not come to the Assessment Centre. Information on self-isolation, as well as guidance for care givers and family members in the home, is available here: www.ontario.ca/coronavirus.
4. If you have symptoms, and are struggling at home, come to an Assessment Centre.
5. If you are very ill, go to the nearest Emergency Department or call 911.
Assessment Centre Locations:
- Grey Bruce Health Services – Owen Sound Regional Hospital 12:00 PM – 8:00 PM, 7 days per week
- South Bruce Grey Health Centre – Kincardine Hospital beginning Saturday, March 28: 12:00-4:00 PM, 7 days per week
- Hanover & District Hospital 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, 7 days per week
Following screening at the Assessment Centres, patients will be sent home to self-isolate and monitor symptoms, unless the patient is critically ill and requires hospitalization. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Most patients experience mild symptoms, and recover fully without treatment within two weeks.